The Competent Persons Scheme was introduced by the Department of Communities and Local Government (CLG) to enable companies to self-certify plumbing and heating works that fall under the scope of Building Regulations. Self certification providing a much more cost effective route as compared with the alternative of notifying work through local building control bodies.
To self-certify plumbing and heating works that fall under the scope of Building Regulations, companies must become certified Competent Persons Scheme installers through a Competent Persons Scheme Certification Body such as APHC Certification Ltd.
Plumbing and heating companies can join the scheme provided they meet the scheme requirements as outlined in the scheme documents, available to download below. Once approved, companies are able to self-certify a range of permitted plumbing and heating works under the Competent Persons Scheme from £1.75 per online notification.
• Installation of Oil Fired Appliances
- Oil Fired, Pressure Jet Appliances
- Oil Fired, Vapourising Appliances
- Oil Storage Tanks & Supply Pipelines
• Solid Fuel Appliances
• Woody Biomass Boilers
• Ground and Air Source Heat Pumps
• Solar Thermal Hot Water Systems
• Electrical Installations, Defined Competence Schemes
• Installation of Heating & Hot Water Supply Systems, inc.
Innovative Hot Water Systems
• Installation of Plumbing & Water Supply Systems, inc.
Water Efficient Taps & Showers covering:
- Wholesome & Softened Wholesome Water Supply
- Installation of Non-Wholesome Water Supply & Sanitary Convenience inc. Flush Mechanism
- Sanitary Convenience, Sinks, Washbasins, Fixed Baths, Showers or Bathrooms in Dwellings
In addition to the Competent Persons Scheme, companies can also join the Green Deal Installer Scheme>>.
Members of the scheme(s) also benefit from access to the range of free and discounted business support services shown here. Download leaflet.
1. This is the certification schemes application form which you will need to complete, sign and return to APHC Certification Ltd. with supporting information in order to make an initial application to join the Competent Persons Scheme.
2. This is the guidance for applications document which details the evidence requirements that you will need to provide as part of your application for the Competent Persons Scheme.
3. This is the certification schemes rules which lay down the rules of the Competent Persons Scheme which each company must comply with including company operating requirements, processes and procedures that must be in place.
4. This is the Competent Persons Scheme customer charter which lays down a minimum trading standard to be operated by all companies as part of the Competent Persons Scheme.
If you’d like to speak directly to the APHC Certification Ltd. membership sales team, contact us on : Tel: 0121 711 5030